The story of wine in Armenia begins when Noah landed on Mt. Ararat and planted a vine. in Genesis 9:20. He subsequently got drunk and fell asleep naked. His son Ham found him in this state and told his other two brothers Shem and Japeth. Shem and Japeth then took a garment and proceeded to walk backwards into their father’s tent to cover him without seeing his nakedness. When Noah awoke and discovered that Ham had broadcast his being naked instead of covering him on his own, he cursed Ham's son Canaan and stated that Canaan should be the slave of Shem and the Lord should give Japeth the territory of Canaan. (Genesis 9:20)
Elsewhere in antiquity, Armenian wine is noted by Herodotus, who wrote that merchants would carry 25 tons of wine down the Tigris and Euphrates to Babylon in barrels of palm tree wood during the fifth century. This was the first cited example in written history of anyone using barrels to store wine. This technology, along with ideas and values surrounding wine, spread down these rivers out of the Caucasus and into Egypt and Europe.
In 1899 Shustov purchased the Tairov brandy factory in Yerevan and by the beginning of 20 century was producing 50% of brandy and spirits of Armenia. In 1921 it was renamed to “Ararat”, becoming publicly owned in Soviet Union. In 1922 the “Ararat Trust” was established, including all wineries of Armenia.
After the World War II the wine production was increased.
From 2007, the new page of the development of Armenian winemaking was opened. New vineyards were created and new organizations came into the market producing wine with modern technologies.
Renaissance of Armenian wine industry